Skip to main content

12 Things I've Learnt About Getting A Part-Time Job

Guess who's back?

Back Again,
Liyah's Back
Tell A Friend

(actually don't because I'll probably disappear for another 3 months)

Sorry about that, A-Levels and mocks and literally just taking ALL of my attention but I broke up for summer holiday today!
Woop.
(To be honest, I'm not happy about it at all because school&work are like the only reason I go outside, lol laziness, so now I wont see my friends for like 2 months unless I actively make plans.
Will I?
Probably not)

But yeah, I think I mentioned this in my last depress-fest of a post that I indeed do have a part-time job, I just past the three month mark actually and with that, I have learnt quite a few things.
Things I feel a need to tell!

So I hope you enjoy this post and if you're considering on getting a part-time job I say go for it!
It gives you experience and you get to meet more people, whilst making money at the same time.
However only do it if you can balance, college/uni/school-work with actual work.
I don't work that many hours so it's pretty easy, sacrificing my Saturday mornings is probably the biggest challenge I face.
But yeah.

...


#1 Keeping up pep is hard, especially when people scare you.

I'm pretty sure one of the biggest demands at any retail store is to like, smile&stuff at the customers.
Smiling - easy
Smiling for 4 hours+ - not so easy
My natural, relaxed face is not a smile, its more of a confused - curious face that probably looks kinda rude to other people. BUT I DONT MEAN IT TO BE.
I envy my co-workers that can smile 24/7 and easily engage in conversation with the customers.
pls, teach me.
Working has taught me I'm not as extroverted as I thought.
Definitely ambiverted.

#2 The "first pay-check bliss" is great, but it wears off.

First pay-check bliss : the euphoric feeling felt after getting paid 

(I made this saying up, pretty neat huh?)

Duration : can range from 30 seconds - a month.
Ends abruptly when all of the wages are spent and the bliss turns into DEEP shame.

Yeah, it took me like 12 days to spend my first pay-check.
The bliss has faded, when I got paid I used to be like "YAY"
But now it's more, "I got paid, cool"
(Need I remind you, I've only been paid THREE times, the bliss ended v.quickly for me)

#3 I've grown to hate my town

My work is placed in town, the main part where everyone shops, all the restaurants are and where the big shopping centre is.
I used to love going there all the time when I went shopping for a day-out but now, constantly seeing so many crowds of people.

Yikes.

#4 Standing up is, a challenge.

I work on tills which means I have to stand up for a prolonged amount of hours, this proves to be a challenge sometimes.

It was HORRENDOUS when I first started because my legs weren't used to it but now its kind of mellow.
Still tires me out though.

#5 I forgot how much I like meeting people

This seems to contradict the first point but trust me, It's different.
This regards my co-workers, majority of them are around my age and knowing them is an absolute pleasure, I forgot how fun it was to meet teenagers, with point #1 I'm mainly smiling at grown adults.
So yeah, getting to be more social is a huge bonus.

#6 I thought working would help me lose weight

It hasn't.
Because what ever calories I lose by working gets immediately added back on when I annihilate a double cheeseburger meal.
I have no self control.
Plus where is work is conveniently placed in between numerous fast food shops and dessert shops, so, I shift some blame onto that.

#7 My work has a smell, I like it.

Like the staff area has this weirdly-nice perfume-ish type smell.
Very hard to explain.
It smells like perfume, kinda but also like, a work-place?
So I guess that's ideal.
Lol.

#8 I'm pretty privileged when it comes to work, I should appreciate it more.

The supervisors are soooo nice and it's easy to talk to them casually, just like if they were your friend.
They are also very understanding and its great.
I also do get quite a lot of breaks, my friend who works at a different retail shop, gets way less so I'm pretty lucky in that aspect.

#9 When the customer line gets really long, the pressure kicks in.

This happens virtually every shift and since the summer holidays have arrived, it'll get worse.
Oh God.
And I have a habit of bagging way too fast and it tires me out, its because I feel like the customer is growing impatient, my co-workers tell me to calm down and go at my own pace but it's literally so hard not to do.

Also, what i've learned about long lines is, its better to have them than not because when the line is long you focus on serving customers efficiently instead of staring at the clock, therefore 25 minutes could've passed and it will have only felt like two.

#10 When I have like, two minutes left until my shift ends, I often make a deadly mistake

When I have about less than 5 minutes left until my shift ends sometimes I look at the next customer and I'm like "oh, they look like they only have a few items to purchase, I'll just do this transaction and then clock out"
I call them to the till and from behind them they pull out TWO LOADED BASKETS.
 

What. Have. I. Done.

So then as I'm processing this transaction, I watch my co-worker squad walk off the tills and I resist the urge not to burst into tears.

#11 Sundays have become my new Saturdays

After going to college from Monday-Friday, I think pretty much every student yearns for Saturdays where they can lie in,
But since I work now Saturday is not really considered a weekend day for me anymore, (other people at my college that have part-time jobs feel this way too) therefore Sundays are like how my Saturdays used to be.
Sunday is my lie-in day now.
And I cherish Sundays so much more now.

...

And there we go.
A few things on what I've learnt from having a part-time job.
I don't really have anymore to say other than, I hope you enjoyed reading!
Hope it made you laugh :)

Byeeee

Comments

Post a Comment

I love your comments, feel free to leave one xo

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts On Going Back To School

So I was inspired by a girl named Izzy to talk about my thoughts on going back to school and I thought it was a great idea! I personally have an extremely strong opinion on school so when I talk about it I speak with 0 filter. I hate school with a fiery passion. (See, I do not sugar coat my hatred) I hate the teachers. I hate the homework. I hate the learning. And I sure as hell hate the horrendous uniform. Seeing my friends is the only thing that convinces me to get up at 6:45 every morning and attend. ..Well that and the occasional bake sales.. Luckily enough I live in the Uk so I don't start school till September the 4th (On a Thursday) But I have so many assignments I haven't completed yet. I even have a Food Technology assignment where I have to bake 5 things and take a picture of them and send them to my teacher. Yeah.. like that's happening I'll probably just steal some from a cooking website. ..Wow I'm just the perfect

Why I'm Envious Of Americans

So as some of you may know, I went back to school.. -.- I absolutely hate it and I've only been back for 2 days *sigh* Since this is a pretty important year I'll probably have to stick to posting once a week by completing posts and uploading them on the weekend.  Although whenever I get holidays I will vow to post as much as I can without getting annoying. Now in case you're wondering: Why not complete multiple posts on the weekends and save them as drafts? I wanted to but I realised its better to wait a few days so fresh ideas can come out then type loads of boring rambly ideas in an hour. Hope you understand where I'm coming from :) Anyways lets get onto what I'm supposed to be talking about shall we? At first I was going to talk about answers to questions people have for British people since I'm British but instead I thought It would be better to talk about my envy for Americans Trust me, this is not as serious/evil as it sou

So My Prom Is Next Year...

So recently I done a collab with Caroline Reinhart and we both talked about Prom, you can check out my post here: http://www.emojicorn.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/guest-post-my-first-prom-experience-by.html The thing is, I happily made that post knowing I would not have prom for at least another 2 years. Yeah.. my prom is in 8 months. 8 Months You may be wondering, prom is fun, what's bad about that? Back in primary school it would've been fun but not now, definitely not. I'm not sure why I feel this way but I just really don't want a prom, the stress of trying to look good with probably land me in hospital and my school severely lacks the 'Troy And Gabriella Romance' it so desperately needs. I mean seriously there's more romance between me and my phone than there is in the school, and that's saying something. I'm probably just going to buy a cheap dress from Primark, literally no one cares what you look like and I re